Thursday, January 29, 2009

Waiting for the fall.

The Winter of Our Modern Discontent



It is hot here in Australia. I don't just mean open the window and get yourself a lemonade, I mean HOT- Vulcan's breath. Hades with the thermostat on high. Temperatures in the high 30s and low 40s (Celsius, that is) have been a bit of a hindrance to me.

Ack- let's not beat around the bush. I'm shattered. I can't think straight, I don't want to think straight, all I want to do is lay on the floor and complain! I can't sew properly, I can't get photos to come out right -hot weather equals short temper, plus I'm learning my way around a new camera, so twice the stress! Because I'm not happy with my images, I can't update the shop -even though I have plenty of new treasures to offer made back when the weather was civilised.

The only image I've taken so far with the new camera that I'd even consider using.

I don't like to fill my days with nothing. The occasional bout of 'deliberate laziness' can help unwind the mind, but I'm always doing something. Years ago when I was young and nothing seemed to matter I'd piss time up against the wall, because you never think you're going to run out of it. I don't like to do that any more because I'm old enough to know that every minute passing is one I'll never get back. But it gets to the point where it's 3am and the sweat is still dripping off you and killing time seems your only option, because it's just too bloody hot to do anything else, including sleep.

Villain Rag Dolls by Junker Jane

All we can do is spend the bulk of our days in the local shopping centre, watching the people (eyes would be better put to use watching the wallet, but we can't do everything). I slump in front of the computer waiting for a cool breeze to creep in the window while I linger over images of snow, ice and fog that it seems everyone but me is surrounded with right now. When you're shivering and shaking and huddling for warmth, spare a thought for me- a send me a box of snow!

Wah wah wah. I guess this is what you call 'blogging the shadows'. :)

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh dear! I would be a wreck if I was a hot like that! Seriously, I wouldn't be able to do anything. At least if you are cold you can layer up. I love this new cuff! And, I can't wait to see your new photos. I am just getting used to my camera and I have had it for months and months so check out my latest blog entry for a cold breeze and some big snow! Hang in there.

p.s. love these dolls too!

Jenn said...

I would happily trade you some of my 6 feet of snow for 24 hours of your heat.... too bad we can't! Greeting from Canada nevertheless!

The Feathered Nest said...

I am the same way!!! Heat CHOKES me...even a little bit so in the midst of the hottest weather I am useless. All I can think of is being hot!! I do hope the weather cools off for you soon ~ and I love the new creation!! xxoo, Dawn

FoundVintageStyle said...

Even though it's hard to fathom right now, with the snow and cold wind blowing against my window, I can sympathize with how you feel. I wilt in the heat and humidity as well. I hope the heat wave breaks soon and things get back to normal for you!

MJ Ornaments said...

Oh I hope your heat lets up soon, that's no fun. I'm sending you a cool ocean breeze from California!
Take care,
Marth

Judy said...

I can sooooooo relate 42 degrees in the shade the other day. Who can work in that? Not me.

The Rustic Victorian said...

Heat makes me cranky, air conditioning is the only answer. I come from a colder place, that seems natural to me. Heat and Himidity here in the South is nasty. I can sympathise. I hate sweating too. Good thing it all lasts a short time. Good luck with the camera.