Thursday, May 20, 2010

Supply shop update

I've been madly trying to add as many things to the supply shop as possible in order to get some money together and destash- I want to come home to a nice tidy studio! (Impossible dreams.)


One of the things that is rapidly becoming an addictive game is putting together kits for making cuffs, brooches and necklaces. (The first necklace pack will be photographed tomorrow, hopefully with a few more of each kind of pack.)

I have a brooch and 2 more pairs of earrings to go into the jewelry shop, and as many supplies as possible over the weekend- and then that's it for updates! The shop will go on holiday on the 25th (that's Australian time) and will stay sleeping till the 25th of June.

One week exactly till I fly out- this time next Thursday I'll be coming into Bangkok. Don't worry- we're not leaving the airport! 3 hours of stop over...I'm sure they'll be plenty to look at.

Also in the shop are these lovely Georgian buttons- I've been reading up on the history of buttons and some sources I've come across say that most shell buttons made in the 19th century have some sort of metal accent, so any carved buttons that are only shell are 18th century. these have such an undeniable Georgian look! I'm sure I'm selling things at much under the market value, but I'm here to destash my bits, not corner the Etsy antique button market!

I've added some of these pretty little ethically harvested crystal points too. I buy them from a one-man operation, who gets them by digging small holes on private property in country Australia. He does it for a hobby, only selling enough to fund the next trip and always tries to leave the land as un-invaded as possible.

Crystal mining is rampant in ethical problems, from explosive open cut mines, child labour, dangerous working conditions and human rights abuse... it is an industry like any other than feeds on a huge demand. These crystals are free from all of that, happy little creatures they are. I'm wanting to employ more crystals in my work but ethically harvested stone is hard to find and very expensive.

No comments: