Friday, February 18, 2011

Pretties

Gobsmackingly gorgeous Edwardian parasol


Black silk beaded cape circa 1850


Cover graphics on a children's book bought last weekend at a library sale- I love children's fantasy from the 1960s and 70s, mostly these are all Puffin books, I loved reading them as a kid and even now there's something so delightfully cosy about them. It always seem to be about supper time and standing stones. This one has good reviews, promising an exciting thrill-ride with writing that will please fans of Alan Garner. So double points!

3 comments:

@angpang said...

I know what you mean, very nostalgic to read a book written for children at the time when you were a child. I just picked up Gobbolino the Witch's Cat in Oxfam, which I was read at school when I was 7, was like finding a long lost friend. Now reading it with my 6 year old. Bliss.

A mermaid in the attic said...

Oh my god, I remember that one, I remember the cover graphics and I remember reading it! Yes, Susan Cooper and Alan Garner were my favourites, but there were so many wonderful books written in the 60s and 70s for children...whenever I'm in Op Shops, I look out for them!

Phillipa. said...

I love your parasol, thanks for sharing the images.